|Jack Jones Homebrewed Biodiesel Samples
Pictures 1, 3, 4, and 5 are of three different batches I did early in the year. Pictures 1, 3, and 4 are the uncleaned versions that have been sitting for about 4 or 5 months. As a result, you can see the glycerin on the bottom, and the biodiesel on top. For picture 1 you can also see a middle layer of soaps and crap. There is also a little bit of those soaps and crap in the middle layer of picture 3. Picture 4 has a very nice distinction between the biodiesel and the glycerin with almost no soap and crap.
Here's why they look so different; batch A, which is were the stuff in picture 1 came from, was made from the stuff I bought from Renegade Oil. It took about 8 grams of lye per liter of WVO to convert it. All that extra lye went into converting free fatty acids into soap. That is why there is such a big soap layer in Picture 1.
Batch B, which is were the stuff in picture 3 came from, was made from a half and half mixture of the stuff I bought from Renegade Oil and the oil we get from the Japenese resturant in Orem. It took about 6 grams of lye per liter of WVO to convert. That extra bit of lye is why you see the soap layer in the picture.
Batch C, which is were the stuff in picture 4 came from, was made 100% from the stuff we get from the Japenese resturant in Orem. It took about 4 1/2 grams of lye per liter of WVO to convert it. To convert fresh veggie oil takes somewhere between 3 1/2 to 4 grams depending on who you ask. As you can tell the oil from the Orem resturant is not very used and doesn't have very many free fatty acids so we don't get very many soaps in the process, as you can tell from picture 4.
Those three pictures are a good example of how the oil you start with effects the amount waste after the reaction. The quality of oil you start with does not say anything about the quality of the biodiesel you end up with.
Picture 5 shows that even with bad WVO you can get good biodiesel. Picture 5 shows the three batches A, B, C after they have been washed. The order is batch A is on the left, batch B is in the middle, and batch C is on the right.
Now for the other pictures:
Picture 2 is a sample of a batch of converted oils I got from a few different places. We'll call it batch D. The stuff in the bottle is uncleaned biodiesel on top and glycern on the bottom, with practically no soaps and crap in the middle. The oils in batch D include about 12 gallons of peanut oil that Andre and Brian gave me at the BBQ plus about 5 gallons of peanut oil that my dad gave me that he used to fry a turkey in plus another 5 gallons of partially hydrogenated canola oil my dad gave me, again for frying turkeys, plus another 15 or so gallons of some oil I had been letting settle which came from various places. The oil took about 4 1/2 grams of lye per liter of WVO to convert.
Picture 6 is a sample, right off the top of the washer, of the washed version of batch D.
Picture 7 is a side by side comparision of the washed versions of batch C on the left and batch D on the right. From this comparison about all you can get is that your starting WVO does effect the color of your end product.Jack Jones